Summer picnics and barbeques are the perfect outdoor settings to play with your food, Keeley Krackerz style. Let your imagination run wild and have some fun with the kids while you wait for the grill to heat up. Scientific research shows that getting in some play time is an important part of a healthy life, and it’s something we tend to forget as we get older. If you’re an adult, you might be a little out of practice, so we’ve put together some playtime tips for the whole family:
- Build a cracker castle using peanut butter as the glue. It’s not only fun, but when you’re finished, you’ve got a healthy snack ready to eat.
- Have a contest to see who can make the tallest cracker stack without it falling over. No peanut butter allowed on this one. 😉
- Play a game of checkers using crackers as the pieces. Use round vs. square crackers to differentiate between teams, or whole wheat vs. regular. Any piece that gets jumped gets devoured–you can always grab a new cracker if you need to crown any pieces later.
- Play a game of tabletop football, using a cracker as the ball. Set up goal areas on either side of a picnic table and use your fingers to kick/flick the ball towards the goals.
- Pretend you’re having a fancy tea party. Use blackberry jam as caviar and spread it on crackers as hors d’oeuvres. Make mini-sandwiches using crackers, low fat turkey, and cheese.
Photo provided by http://www.freedigitalphotos.net